question

Mircea Pricop avatar image
Mircea Pricop asked

Long term support for legacy multiplayer servers?,Legacy Multiplayer long term support

Seeing the word "legacy" makes me anxious about starting a new project targeting the legacy multiplayer server hosting service.

Is this service expected to be supported long term?

I'm asking because we are using UE4, and packaging the GSDK is proving to be quite a hassle (UE4 has its own build system which doesn't integrate well with nuget). In comparison, with the legacy multiplayer servers we can just use the Playfab SDK Plugin for Unreal (which doesn't support Thunderhead AFAIK) which makes it much easier.

Thank you for the great service!

Seeing the word "legacy" makes me a bit anxious about starting development on our new project targeting the legacy multiplayer system.

Should new games target Thunderhead, or are legacy servers expected to be supported long term?

I'm asking since we are using UE4, and packaging the C++ GSDK is proving to be quite a hassle, compared to the possibility of using the pre-packaged UE4 Plugin you provide (which does not handle Thunderhead hosting, AFAIK).

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mircea Pricop avatar image Mircea Pricop commented ·

Apologies for the spammy looking question, I believe this was caused by a bug in the questions submissions process as I was initially logged out, typed my question, then logged in and had to type it again. Now I see the old content was also already there, but it was not displayed to me.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Hernando avatar image
Hernando answered

In another similar question, Brendan has replied in that thread: https://community.playfab.com/questions/24948/external-multiplayer-servers.html

>> "We have a firm "no breaking changes" policy, so as long as there are pre-existing titles still using it, it will continue to work.

At some point after we release the new matchmaker we will be deprecating it, but that simply means that it will eventually no longer be in our SDKs or documentation. Here's the complete write-up of our deprecation process: https://blog.playfab.com/blog/deprecation-visibility"

So you don't have to worry about it.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.