question

fabian-kuhn@gmx.de avatar image
fabian-kuhn@gmx.de asked

Asynchronous Matchmaking

Hello,

im currently developing a game were 2 people are matched against each other to play a turn based asynchronous game.

As a backend i coded my own PHP "server" logic connected to my SQL Database hosted on Amazon AWS servers.

Then a friend told me about Playfab, and im intrigued.

I found this post https://playfab.com/blog/creating-turn-based-asynchronous-matchmaker-without-dedicated-server/ , but sadly, its outdated and not rly scaleable (Open Games Lobby for example)

Is there any ETA when this post will get updated, or any tips how i can achieve a scalable version of aboves blogpost? I would rly like to cancel my AWS subscription and not use Photon aswell, and only build my game and serverlogic in Playfab.

Edit:

Maybe some additional Info the game itself, the routine is kinda easy.

1. Player A searches for a random open game, if none is there, server creates a new game

2. Player A plays the first round of the game, and uploads a score, notifing player B that it is his turn to play

3. After 5 rounds, the game is over and the Players Lose/Gain Rating (The rating has no impact on the find-game part)

Regards
Fabian

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We have a fairly extensive thread on the topic of asynchronous matchmaking for turn-based games here: https://community.playfab.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/207129407-Persistent-turn-based-games-. I would recommend reviewing that thread for more info.

A quick summary would be that while we'll offer a more complete async matchmaker in future, you can enable this right now using Photon Turnbased. You can also use leaderboards to get the PlayFab IDs of players with scores near that of the current user, in order to issue matchmaking "challenges".

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

fabian-kuhn@gmx.de answered

Thank you for your fast answer!

Ive read all Topics about asynchronous matchmaking in the forums, and they all tell me to use Photon, but since i only want to save 2 Integeres per Room which are updated after each round ( so its like a rate from 1 Message per 5 Minute ? ), i dont want to use a paid system like Photon.

The hassle with the Blogbost was that the "RoomManager"-Shared Group would be slow with a scaling Playerbase, can 1 Solution be that i write my own small RoomManager Server and upload it to the Playfab servers ? It would only handle open rooms and room assignment.

I rly dont want to rush you, but is there any ETA when your async features will be public ? I would rly like to publich our game in the next 2 Months, so any information regarding the publishing would be appreciated !

Regards

Fabian

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, but we don't have a scheduled date for an asynchronous matchmaker right now. If you don't want to use Photon, you can always use the existing leaderboard system to find people with scores around that of the current user, for purposes of matchmaking. We'll be releasing resetting leaderboards shortly (within the next couple of weeks), so you could use that to ensure that players who stop playing are no longer in consideration.

You could indeed use a custom game server to manage your game matches, but there are two issues there:

The first is that for a very large user base - say your game blows up to millions of users - you may need to have multiple matchmakers running at a time, fragmenting your user base. That may not be an issue, but:

The second is that custom game servers aren't free, either. They're servers in EC2 for which we pass on the price directly, plus 10% to cover our costs. So ultimately, Photon is likely to be a better deal for you - especially as you don't have to write and maintain all the matchmaker code, then.

10 |1200

fabian-kuhn@gmx.de answered

"The second is that custom game servers aren't free, either. They're servers in EC2 for which we pass on the price directly, plus 10% to cover our costs. So ultimately, Photon is likely to be a better deal for you - especially as you don't have to write and maintain all the matchmaker code, then."

In your current Blog post it says 

"It's no big secret that PlayFab allows you to upload and run a Game Server build for free.  It's super easy to do;  you just go to the servers tab in Game Manager click on the Builds subtab and then upload a .exe file."

What is now correct ?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

They're both correct. We provide one t2.medium EC2 server for titles in development at no charge. When titles want to upgrade this to larger server models or more than the one test server, that's when we start passing on the cost for the server instances as described.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.