question

mlazowski avatar image
mlazowski asked

How is the swearword filter billed

Hello.

I have some quick questions to confirm my understanding of how the swearword filter is billed.
The documentation states:

The total charge depends on the number of active users of the title in the month, in increments of 100,000 MAU.

For example, the monthly charge for a $19.99 upgrade would be
$19.99 for a title with between 0 and 100,000 MAU or $39.98 for a title
with between 100,001 and 200,000 MAU.

Let me use an example. One of the options is 25,000 profanity checks - $50.00.

Is this billed per packages and not checks or actual uses?

In a title with 50,000 MAU that uses 20,000 checks monthly - the price is $50

In a title with 150,000 MAU that uses 20,000 checks monthly - the price is $100

In a case of 50,000 MAU that uses 30,000 checks monthly - would a limit be hit with the 25001 check or would the package be billed again?

In the event of hitting a limit, what kind of response does the UpdateUserTitleDisplayName receive? Does it just let through profane names or return some other error?

Thank you for your time!

limitspricingPartner Add-ons
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I've got a bug filed to get the billing clarified. Right now, the way our Community Sift add-on works is that you choose how many filter checks you want to have as your maximum per month, and that's what you pay for. So, if you won't need more than 25,000 checks per month, you'd sign up for the $50 per month plan, for example.

And yes, at the moment if you exceed your limit, the check simply doesn't occur, meaning that bad names could get through. There's a discussion ongoing right now concerning that, as obviously that's less than ideal. What we're likely to change to is a model where if you exceed the limit, you are automatically "upgraded" to the next higher limit tier (and cost), but we'd be interested in your feedback. Would you rather that the calls fail past the limit (knowing that this could make it impossible for players to pick a display name)?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mlazowski avatar image mlazowski commented ·

I apologize for not responding as soon as I read that months ago.

Personally, our team would prefer the checks to pass through and let us handle dealing with any bad names that splipped through, without blocking the whole project (picking a display name is a neccessary part of onboarding).

An ideal solution would be to let the setting be changed per title (checks to fail or pass through after exceeding limits), but I understand it might be hard have the cake and eat it too

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mlazowski commented ·

So you'd prefer the current functionality (skipping the check) - got it, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.