question

entelicon avatar image
entelicon asked

Server + DB Spinup

I plan on spinning up a DB server for every x game servers.

Would I have to use the custom matchmaker for this?

How would the game server have the proper reference to the DB server?

unity3dCustom Game ServersMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Can you describe your server design from a high level, to start? Are you referring to running both types of server in our hosting? If so, servers are started in our hosting based upon the settings in your configuration. So, if you set a build active in a region, the max instances per host and min available instances will determine how many host machines are started. So, if the max instances you want to have running on a server host is 10, and you want to have 20 instances available to start new sessions at any time, 2 host servers would be started. And as soon as an instance is started in a host (via StartGame or Matchmake), you would have only 19 free instances available, so we would start the process of setting up another host server.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

entelicon avatar image entelicon commented ·

Yeah, so I'm wanting to have a Database Server and a Game Server. For every 10 Game Servers I spin up, I want a Database Server to spin up.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan entelicon commented ·

Let me clarify my question: What, if anything, is your design for how the servers communicate and determine when a database server is needed? If you're not doing anything specifically, and you want the database servers to be hosted by PlayFab, one possibility would be to have each server create a fake player account (using LoginWithCustomID, for example), and have them matchmake into the database servers, so that you use the same matchmaker logic you normally would to have servers instanced.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.