question

jeff-1 avatar image
jeff-1 asked

Can a TitleEvent trigger a Rule Action?

I want to update some title-wide data from an external server. I'm trying to do this as a PlayStream event (using WriteTitleEvent) and with an associated Rule, but the Rule isn't firing. Is this supported?

(I could use SetTitleInternalData instead, but I'm concerned with data races and I'd prefer to notify PlayFab and do the actual title data write in CloudScript)

Title DataPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

Can you let us know your TitleId, please? we would like to view and replicate your issue.

13 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·
@jeff-1

Can we take a step back to discuss what it is you're trying to do, exactly? The statement that you're concerned abut data races makes it look like you're attempting to update Title Data frequently, which is not supported.

1 Like 1 ·
jeff-1 avatar image jeff-1 brendan commented ·

Data race was the wrong term to use.

We plan to have a small group of people using a tool which can modify the title data, and I want to rule out conflicts due to simultaneous updates as much as possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan jeff-1 commented ·

If it's a small number of people, the odds against that should be pretty high, since they would literally have to be updating the exact same key/value pair at the exact same time. But one thing to be aware of is that we're finalizing a new data system that we'll be releasing around GDC time, which is designed for multiple users updating it. To be clear, it'll return a "busy" error if you try to update the KVP while someone else's update is in progress, but that would then let you use that specific response to do a backoff-and-retry.

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
jeff-1 avatar image jeff-1 commented ·

Our TitleId is EC18. The event I'm adding is called "live_event_updated".

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ jeff-1 commented ·

Can you run your script on Postman to see if you can replicate there and share your result please, it seems that CloudScript triggers on our end if the issue persists you would need to fix your CloudScript, meantime, we will run few more tests as well.

1 Like 1 ·
jeff-1 avatar image jeff-1 pfnathan ♦ commented ·

The script is just a stub (for now). My problem is that I can't tell if it's running or not when the PlayStream event happens.

Are TitleEvents allowed to trigger Rules?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.