question

ad@t-bull.com avatar image
ad@t-bull.com asked

Ping

Can you tell me what is an average(preferable median) ping value of users around the world? Im trying to make a game using playfab with photon real time and I am wondering if it is stable enough.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Well, stability and latency are really very distinct things. For stability, I would describe our service as extremely reliable. Our service status page can be found here (http://status.playfab.com/) and it links to our Pingdom page showing our historical uptime.

For latency, we operate the core PlayFab services in AWS, in multiple availability zones in US-West. While we don't have a comprehensive list of ping times from all geos, you can see the ping times for all AWS zones using tools like http://www.cloudping.info/). The core services, including Cloud Script, are all Web API calls, meaning they're all made using SSL and you can see the total CPU time for all your calls in the Reports tab for your title, by selecting the API Usage Report.

So the question is, what are your considerations for ping time? If you're designing for a web-based game where you expect your data calls to be Web API based, a turnaround of upwards of 250ms is normal (for players at extreme distances from your core datacenter). If you're designing a shooter-type game, where you need extremely tight latency on all data checks, that's a situation where you really should be using a dedicated game server to host the sessions, so that you can have them geolocated close to your players (we provide hosting in a wide range of AWS zones).

And note that your worst enemy in planning for online player interactions is the "last mile", in areas where there's a wide range of quality for user connections to the Internet. The United States is particularly notorious for this - the bottom 4-5% of Internet connections are exceptionally poor, as they rely upon very old infrastructure.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.