question

robert avatar image
robert asked

Multiple Games / Multiple Login methods / Single User

I have a short question, not sure if I miss here something.

Lets say we have a single user which installs game A. When the user starts game A we try to sign in with his device ID or create a new account if there is no account. Then user plays the game a bit and eventually decides to use facebook. We first try to login with his Facebook to check if he previously used a facebook account already, if not, we link his account with facebook (LinkWithFacebook). Works flawlessly.

Then, later the user installs game B. He has a new account on game B (DeviceID returns a new ID as soon as all games from the same developer has been removed from the device). He plays a bit and eventuelly decides to use facebook again. But this time, when calling LoginWithFacebook a account is already found in playfab. This account gets used automatically, and as this account has no Game B related data yet, all his progress is reset.

I'm not sure how to handle this. We don't want to present the option to the user if he wants to link facebook or login to facebook as I'm pretty sure 99% of the users will get confused about this. Also a dialog box showing this option when we detect an already created facebook/playfab account may confuse the user. (e.g. We detected an already created facebook account. Do you want to login with this facebook account or relink this account to the facebook account....)

Do I miss something here? How do other developers handle such a situation? (The most important thing for us is to have a frictionless experience... Install the game, play and if the user likes is, link to facebook/google/whatever)

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Okay, so this is an iOS story, given that the Device ID is changing between installs, then?

The thing to do in both cases is not to use LoginWithFacebook when you've incentivized them to add Facebook. The flow should be something like:

. (FTUE) Login with a Device ID

. Incentivize to add Facebook, use LinkFacebookAccount

If, at that stage, the response is "this is already linked to another PlayFab account", then read the info from the other account, display the save info for both, and let the user decide. At that point, you can either re-link to the new account, but the better route is to just save the other gameplay data to the existing account (if they want to keep that progression info), so that any gameplay on other titles isn't lost.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.