question

rcmillard31 avatar image
rcmillard31 asked

Possible to start PlayFab game BEFORE lobby is full?

I have a PlayFab game server running that I start a game on when my SteamMatchmaking lobby is full (currently I have it set to a max of 2 players). This is working as expected.

However I would like to be able to have the Lobby owner start a game even if the Lobby is not full. This is not working.

I have a player create a lobby, then wait a period of time (10 seconds), and if no one else joins by then I want the game to start with only those people that are in the lobby (in this case just myself). What happens is when I call PlayFabMultiplayerAPI.RequestMultiplayerServer, the client doesn't get spawned into the game - instead the client goes into a waiting state where it stays UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE JOINS THE LOBBY at which point both players are then dumped into the game.

Is there some way I can have the game start after a period of time even if the lobby has not filled up? - is there a way to change the max number of players in the lobby AFTER creating the lobby? - is there some way to have the game actually start and have the players spawned BEFORE the lobby has the max number of players?

(I don't know if I should be asking in the Steam forums or here, but decided to ask here because the call to RequestMultiplayerServer seems to wait on the lobby being filled.)

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Please note that the API RequestMultiplayerServer is used to request a multiplayer server session, it does not control whether player entering the game (connecting to the game server) or not, so it has nothing to do with your scenario that if the number of players in the Steam lobby is less than 2, then players won't be able to enter the game. You may check the relevant settings of the Steam Lobby which may be related to this issue. And since we are not familiar with the Steam Lobby, we do not know if there is a way to change the max number of players in the lobby after creating, you may ask Steam team for further assistance. In addition, we also suggest you may check your game server logic, there may be code that prevents the API RequestMultiplayerServer from being called, or that prevents players from connecting to the game server if there are fewer than two players in the steam lobby.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.