question

deanmorrissey avatar image
deanmorrissey asked

Playfab Servers

I'm a little confused on what one gets with a Playfab server. By that I mean, if I want to integrate Playfab with UE4, does the Playfab server host the game (or provides relay services), or is Playfab only for player-related things and matchmaking, and I need another dedicated server to host the actual game?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Well first, you don't get a PlayFab "server" per-se. The core service is a wide range of functionality common to games (and other applications), made to be as generic as possible, so that it's useful to all types of games, as well as automated live game operations tools so that teams can maximize the success of their titles by giving players customized experiences, drive re-engagement campaigns, run A/B testing, etc.

When it comes to games that require dedicated servers, you would need to either host those using our server hosting (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/custom-game-servers) or externally, though we could still provide matchmaking for your servers in that model (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/external-game-servers). We do provide for hosted logic in Cloud Script, but that's designed for relatively lightweight operations. For anything requiring long-running logic or high data exchange rates, you'll need to use a dedicated server running your own custom executable.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

deanmorrissey avatar image deanmorrissey commented ·

OK, thank you. When I looked at the "Limits" tab for my game, there is a section called "Game Servers" which states "Total uncompressed file size of all files in a single game server build, measured in bytes", and that I am currently using 0 of 1GB. If you could explain what that means to me, the developer, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan deanmorrissey commented ·

Got it - yes, that specifically is referring to custom game server hosting. The limit is "this is the maximum storage space allotted for your zip files, containing your game server builds".

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.