question

Elias Fares avatar image
Elias Fares asked

Is there a real-time tutorial for Corona SDK/Lua?

Hi,

I was looking at AppWarp and came across thier Color Move tutorial which seems like exactly what I need for my game.

Background: The game I want to make is a 2d real-time multiplayer mobile racing game (4 players racing) and there will be objects coming in and out of the scene at random that the racers have to dodge.

My goal is to learn how to setup a matchmaking room and how to update each player's location on the other 3 players' devices (iOS/Android) while syncing the obstacles that are coming in at random times moving from right to left (see screenshot). I feel like AppWarp's Color Move tutorial is a good place to start, the code walk-through seems pretty straightforward (how to update the player's coordinates).

Is there anything like this tutorial offered by PlayFab @Brendan? Any links to documentation that I would need to learn/review would be helpful. Would I need to use Cloud Scripting? Authentication? Custom Game Server? Will I be able to use matchmaking and real-time in the free tier? I did do some research but just need some clarification with all this.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the newbie question. Cheers!

Player DataCloudScriptAuthenticationCustom Game ServersPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We don't have a tutorial that specifically describes how to set up this game in our service, but it would be fairly straightforward. There are a couple of approaches to this:

One would be to use a custom game server to have an authoritative server controlling the gameplay experience. That's your most secure solution, as it enables you to drive everything through server authoritative code. Our matchmaker is specifically related to our server hosting (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/custom-game-servers), and server hosting is available in the free tier, but to be clear, it is not free. It is billed at the actual EC2 cost plus 10%.

Alternately, you could use something like Photon Realtime and have one of the clients be the authority for your game, if security isn't a concern. That would allow you to run the game without custom game servers, reducing costs.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.