question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

Matchmake into a Party

Hi folks,

I have a game that lets players compete 1-v-1 in multiplayer battles that last a few minutes. I'd like players to be able to do the following:

• Choose which level they'd like to compete against another person on.

• Get matched based on the level and their own, in-game rating.

• I connect the 2 players, they compete, and they gain/lose rating based on who wins.

Previously I had a legacy custom server that received connections, matched players based on their ratings, and handled awarding wins/losses based on game results (or disconnections).

Do I get control like that using Party?

Thanks so much for the help! -Matt

multiplayerMatchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

I just noticed the Matchmaking API isn't available for iOS or Android. Is that still the case? Is there a workaround for me to match players, based on an in-game rating, and then use Party for their actual match?

Does that make sense?

0 Likes 0 ·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

About how to integrate matchmaking with Party, you can refer to Integrating discovery with PlayFab Party. But please note that the Azure PlayFab Party is only a low-latency chat and data communication solution, it cannot handle your game server logic, the game logic can only be implemented on the client side. And if the Matchmaking API you mentioned is Multiplayer SDK, then the Multiplayer Unity SDK doesn’t support Android and iOS platform. Currently, we only have C++ SDK for Android and iOS. If you don’t consider using the Multiplayer SDKs’s features like real-time notification, you can use Matchmaking REST API.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. I have many follow-up thoughts/questions in regards to this difficult decision. My primary concern is cost, so I'm trying to decide what is best.

I noticed 'Casual small sessions' suggested the P2P server model, so I was thinking I could get away with using the Party system, and hopefully avoid any monthly costs. If, however, I can't really handle what my legacy server did, then the Party system may not work.

That leaves the custom servers. I still cannot use the Playfab Matchmaking unless I use REST Api, right? With a custom server, can I just handle the matchmaking within the server itself and connect players...just like my legacy server?

When I first launch, nobody will be playing the game, but I still have to pay for the custom server to run. I noticed 750 core hours, but I can only get a server with 2+ cores, meaning I'll have a minimum monthly bill of $50? Is that correct?

One side note: I was setting up a server in Game Manager, to see the options, and exited the page without cancelling. Now I cannot attempt to add a 'new server' anymore, the page gets stuck blank..

Thanks for the help!! -Matt

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt avatar image Matt Matt commented ·

I'd also like to disable Party within Game Manager, since I won't be using that service. I don't see a way to disable it once it's enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

I still cannot use the Playfab Matchmaking unless I use REST Api, right?

Considering that Multiplayer Unity SDK doesn’t support Android and iOS platform, so, you need to use Matchmaking REST API.

With a custom server, can I just handle the matchmaking within the server itself and connect players...just like my legacy server?

The PlayFab Multiplayer server and Matchmaking service are independent functions, and the methods that are designed for the legacy server are unsuitable for new PlayFab Multiplayer server. If you want to integrate PlayFab Multiplayer Server with the MatchMaking service, you can refer to Integrating with PlayFab Multiplayer Servers - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

When I first launch, nobody will be playing the game, but I still have to pay for the custom server to run. I noticed 750 core hours, but I can only get a server with 2+ cores, meaning I'll have a minimum monthly bill of $50? Is that correct?

For more info about billing, you can refer to Multiplayer Servers - detailed price sheet - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. And the page Estimate your monthly charges for MPS (playfab.com) can help you calculate charges.

I was setting up a server in Game Manager, to see the options, and exited the page without cancelling. Now I cannot attempt to add a 'new server' anymore, the page gets stuck blank.

This issue has been fixed and you can check again to see if the problem persists.

I'd also like to disable Party within Game Manager, since I won't be using that service. I don't see a way to disable it once it's enabled.

Currently, there is no way to disable the Party. Since PlayFab Party do not incur charges when not in use, so, you don't have to worry about it.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.