question

darkchariotstudios avatar image
darkchariotstudios asked

Stack size slowdown when purchasing item still around or no?

Hi Brendan,

I noticed in a different thread that you addressed the speed issue when a purchase contains a large stack size and mentioned it would be fixed by October (of which year I'm not sure). I believe this was because each item in the stack was processed as an individual item, thus making a stacked item of 500 quantity process as if it was 500 items, correct? The last time I took a look at Playfab I ran into the stack speed issue and had to write my own "store" using cloudscript to get around this.

Has this been resolved yet? If not, is there any eta? If it has, are there any limits you still recommend on the system? Will the system still slow down as the stack increases (just at a slower rate), or is it now the same speed regardless of stack size? You mentioned in the other thread that you don't recommend exceeding a stack size of 20. What is the new recommendation? Is it still preferable to use cloudscript for this to just increment a number on purchase (making it near instantaneous) as opposed to using the store for a stack size in the hundreds?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The specific issue we discussed in that thread was addressed with the update to the inventory system, yes. However, very large inventories, and especially attempts to add a large number of distinct items to a player's inventory, are still going to take more time to process, as there's a lot of work that goes on in the backend. So, referring to the old case, if you were to add 40 items, all of the same stackable Item ID, to the player inventory, that would be much faster. If, however, you are attempting to add 40 different Item IDs to the player inventory, that will still take extra time.

In general, my advice would be to not add more than a few dozen items to the player inventory at a time. If you have a case where you need to do more than that, it's best to post a question with very specific details about the scenario and what you're trying to do, so that we can advise on the best approach.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.