question

Robert avatar image
Robert asked

Best Logical Flow for all online games.

Greetings,

The game I'm currently working on is an entirely online based ARPG. (Think PoE Diablo etc.)

I've noticed that PF is fantastic for sending and returning data in cloud script and for storing game data inside things like character data. What I'm concerned about is safety, and what the best flow of logic is for getting information to and from PF without using an external server. Character data such as equipped gear, damage to and from mobs, and even the health information on those monsters themselves.

Where is the best place to store all this information, and what would be the best way to send and request the information. It would seem sending a request to cloudscript checking if an item can be equipped and getting a return leaving the data to be updated in the cloudscript. Is the what people would consider to be the best method?

I'm simply not sure which methods are safe enough and while I know not letting the client doing anything but ask is the best bet, is using only cloud script the best method? And should the cloud script be sending an receiving data from CharacterData or only the client?

apisCloudScriptCharacter Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Reading between the lines for your requirements, I would say no, Cloud Script is not going to be the way to go.

Cloud Script is designed for relatively lightweight logic that is used periodically for a wide range of tasks, and could certainly be used as the way to process player turns in an asynchronous game. But it is not a way to drive all the logic for a realtime game.

If what you want to have is a largely client-authoritative game where you periodically update the service with data (potentially using Cloud Script to check that data to make sure players aren't cheating), that would work fine. But it sounds like you want to have a server-authoritative realtime game, for which you really would need to have dedicated servers.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.