question

flaviocesarcorreia avatar image
flaviocesarcorreia asked

Where can I find learning material for unity sdk?

Hi there, my name is Flávio and I'm an hobbiest developer , I'm portuguese, and my grammar isn't that good .

I was testing photon, I was making a realtime spaceshooting game , learning while i was making it, created rooms, players could join, sync was ok, shared with some friends, we all have fun :)

And then, I needed some place to manage and store currencies, scores, items etcetc .. A backend service.

And I found playfab , and "other company" i'm not quoting eheh, I choose playfab because from what I can understand I can host my games in playfab without the need to use photon (only for asynchronous games, is that right?).

So I started looking through the documentation, but unity integration seems not to have much documents to learn from.

And on youtube channel I can't find much material either.
I found something about connecting user through a list of possible devices, and the "good way" to do it.

But I don't have any clue what to do next.

Right know i don't know were i have to create my scoreboards, currencies , items, and so on (i guess i should do it on playfab GameManager?), and MAINLY , how do I comunnicate from my client with the backend. ?

Looking through documentation, i can see all the api's but it doesn't tell me how do I implement them on Unity.

Sorry for my noobish questions, I'm just starting in this whole networking world, and I found PlayFab learning curve really difficult for starters

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Well first, if you need something akin to Photon Realtime to host rooms for players, then you actually do need to use Photon, custom game servers, or something similar. PlayFab provides an integration with Photon, to simplify the process of signing players in and so that you can easily use their webhooks to call into custom logic in our service (in Cloud Script), but we do not replace the Photon Cloud's functionality directly.

But yes, if you just want to have asynchronous games, and you're comfortable using leaderboards for matchmaking, it's possible to build those in PlayFab without other services. For more complete matchmaking though, I would recommend using Photon Realtime.

We actually have a significant number of tutorials, blog posts, and other docs that talk about how to build a game in PlayFab, most with a particular emphasis on Unity, since many of our developers are using that engine. I'd recommend starting with this one: https://api.playfab.com/docs/general-getting-started

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.