question

JJNCreator avatar image
JJNCreator asked

Can a catalog item be used as both a VC item and an IAP?

Hi PlayFab Community,

I'm making this game where a guest account can be created. One of the things guests accounts will have is the ability to buy in-game cars with real money. If they upgrade to a full account, they can use virtual currency instead of real money to buy the cars.

On to my question. My catalog items (which act as cars in the game) currently have a virtual currency price, but I also want them to be available as In-App Purchases (for both iOS and Android). The way I could do that is to add an RM price to the catalog items. Will this work when I call the Validate Receipt functions?

Thank you

In-Game Economygame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

In most cases when you use receipt validation, you'll be sending the currency code and price paid as part of the call. In any case where a price is not passed in, we use the price specified in the catalog (RM for the USD price - so 99 RM is $0.99 USD).

But yes, each price in the catalog or store definition is distinct. So an item set up with two different prices - one in VC and one in RM, could be purchased with either.

However, please note that setting a price in a catalog or store makes that price available for purchase of the item by any player, if the correct call is made (and, of course, the player either is actually paying the money in question, whether real or virtual currency). So your best practice here would be to not give the non-full account players any way to get the virtual currency in question. If you want to give the player VC that they can see but not use, as an incentive to get them to upgrade, use a separate virtual currency for the VC purchase prices of the items, and when the player upgrades, use a Cloud Script to transfer that balance over to the VC used to define the purchase prices.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JJNCreator avatar image JJNCreator commented ·

I have an idea of how I can make this work. If I have any more questions, I'll come back to this post. Thanks for the help!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.