question

joshua singer avatar image
joshua singer asked

Guilds/Clans, what features work?

Hi, I'm looking to implement a guild system in my game, but from what I understand the shared data groups really don't scale to accommodate a reasonable guild size (50+). There are no updates on guild leaderboards. Lastly I can't do guild events because there is no way to prevent race conditions of multiple players possibly altering the same value of an event.

So what am I missing? What is the purpose of the current Guild/Clan implementation, and are there methods of handling any of these features that doesn't involve rolling your own solution on AWS or something.

Shared Group Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

PlayFab builds guilds using the new Entity Programming Model, or more specifically - the entity type of groups, it allows you to create different roles for members, invite members into the group, and manage group membership. As you mentioned, when multiple players within a group try to update a certain data at the same time, it will cause data update conflicts. And there is currently no other way to solve this problem. In addition, PlayFab does not support guild leaderboard, so, if you want to implement the above functionality, then you need to use an external database to implement it.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

joshua singer avatar image joshua singer commented ·

OK my first comment was deleted so I will try a different approach. When can we expect the guild leaderboards mentioned almost 6 years ago here.

https://community.playfab.com/questions/23310/is-it-possible-to-add-the-team-member-game-score-f.html?childToView=23317#answer-23317

0 Likes 0 ·
Neils Shi avatar image Neils Shi joshua singer commented ·

As https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/social/tournaments-leaderboards/ mentions that there is no opportunity for adoption of "Leaderboards v2" (which mentioned in the thread you provided) at this moment. Please keep an eye on our Roadmap, we will update it once Leaderboard v2 becomes available.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.